Monday, January 10, 2011

Mercy for the Asking

April 24th, 2009 by Elizabeth Yank

When something happens three or more times in my life, I know it’s God saying, “Wake up!” He might not hit me over the head literally, but He knows if He wants to catch my attention He will have to repeat himself. He is all too aware that I am easily distracted and the best way to catch my attention is to keep putting things in my way. Sooner or later I will have to see the connection.

First, I was given a prayer card for the Divine Mercy Chaplet. I tucked it in my purse and life went on. Then, I was asked to review a book titled, Pope Benedict’s Divine Mercy Mandate. It’s a wonderful book that clearly explains that God’s mercy is not just another devotion. It puts Divine Mercy into perspective.
But God wasn’t finished with me yet. I bought a small picture frame. When I got home, I realized it was too small for the picture I wanted to use. I made an offhand comment to my daughter, “I bet that would be the perfect size for a holy card.”

My other daughter, then, slipped in the Divine Mercy picture. This morning she informed me that her two favorite pictures are “Let the Little Children Come to Me” and “Jesus, I trust in you.” She didn’t call it the Divine Mercy picture, but the saying that is associated with it, “Jesus, I Trust in you.”

That is perhaps one of the hardest things in my life, to trust Jesus, to implicitly trust in God’s goodness, to recognize that He can take the most abysmal situation and turn it around and use it for our good. When we are in the midst of a hopeless situation, it is hard to see the light of Christ, let alone know that He has the power to heal all.

God wasn’t finished with me yet. At the Women of Christ Conference, I heard Fr. Christopher Crotty. What was his message? The mercy of God. What order does he belong to? The Fathers of Mercy. I purchased his audio tapes, highly recommended by an acquaintance. Now I am drenching myself in his message of God’s merciful love.

Years ago I read the biography of St. Faustina. Her message of God’s merciful love is desperately needed in our times. Her message is really God’s message. He is offering us an answer to all our problems; He is offering to heal our wounds. But are we too stubborn and proud to open ourselves to God’s mercy? God’s mercy is the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is waiting for us. We need to say, “Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and enkindle in them the fire of your love.” Let us not be too proud to beg for His mercy.

Published by Catholic Exchange

No comments:

Post a Comment